6.29.2008

What a week

I wish I had better news to report. I don't. Chief is no longer with us, he is with Jesus.

He died at the same moment I was leaving to drive to North Carolina. I had made the decision that if he was alive when it was time for me to leave that I would head south but if he had passed away I would head north. For some reason, he was pushing me South. I had not driven a tenth of a mile and my phone rang. It was my mom. I knew from the tone in her voice that he was gone. At first, I did a u-turn. Then, I did another u-turn. I knew that I had to keep heading south. Natalie would not survive another change in plans, it was getting too late in the day, I just needed to keep driving. Thankfully Natalie had already fallen asleep when I got the call and I could cry as much as I wanted/needed to.

We knew that his death was coming. His body never got strong enough for surgery. They made him a hospice patient on Monday afternoon and told us that he would live about 24-48 hours. He lived about 49 more, he had to fight. He clinged to life until all of my dad's brothers and sisters were there with him. He passed away about a minute after the last one arrived.

I love my Chief. He was a great man. I am going to miss him.

There are still LOTS of boxes to unpack. Unpacking with two children around while you are emotionally and physically exhausted is not easy. Right now I feel like I will be unpacking for the next 10 years!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about Chief!

Dawn said...

Leigh G...wish I could have helped you during your trip up north. (Hopefully your next trip to NJ will be for happier reasons and I'll be able to see you.) I feel so helpless not being able to do anything for you while your life is turned upside down. I am here for you dear friend. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you in the meantime. My love and prayers are with you as you grieve and get settled in your new home.

Jenny said...

Dearest Friend,
I am so sorry. I know how much Chief meant to you (and to your entire family). Please call if you need to talk. I am here, also drowning in boxes, but here nonetheless. My prayers will continue to be with you.

Jeni said...

Oh Leigh... I am so sorry about Chief and about the timing of this whole thing. I can't imagine how hard it was for you to keep driving south when your heart was in NJ. My heart hurts for you and I will continue to keep you, your dad, and the rest of your family in my prayers. I'm leaving town tomorrow, but if you still need help unpacking/watching two young chilren after July 5th, let me know. I'm right down the road (finally), you know.... Love you!

mama becca said...

Thinking of you Leigh... I'm so sad for you and your family. I'm never sure why death's a part of life... so hard. Praying for you!
becca

Kristen said...

Tweeledee-
Oh how fond the memories are I have of spending that time with Chief when we went to the Keys. He was SUCH a riot, had a huge heart and was quite a warm and caring soul. He will be greatly missed, I know and my heart hurts for you in all that you have had to endure in these past several months. Hang in there and know that "this too shall pass" as my grandmother used to say. May God's loving peace surround you.

Love you, Tweedledumb

brightleigh said...

Leigh, we are thinking of you at this painful and stressful time. Feel our hugs and prayers.

christy said...

Oh, Leigh, I am so sorry for your loss.

one effective mommy said...

Leigh~Sorry to hear about your loss. Just remember the boxes can wait. Let yourself grieve. Let God rest his powerful hands over you and your family. Let him bring strength back to you. Let him bring you peace. It will take time and He knows that. My prayers are with you...