11.19.2007

My Grammie

My Grammie (mom's mom) passed away yesterday. She was 92 years old and lived a long, full life.

At her best my Gram was a sweet, sweet little muffin of a lady. She was never more than 5 feet tall. I think I got my height from her. About five years ago dementia started to rob her of her mind and personality but I know that my sweet Gram was always inside.

Some things that I remember about my Gram:
  • There was always dessert at her house, usually ice cream or Jell-O (in single serving dishes). As I child, I loved this.
  • There were always olives at her house and if she knew that my brothers and I were coming she bought an extra jar. Yum! We love olives!!
  • There was always "good New Jersey cheese" at her house.
  • She loved naps.
  • She was very into her "stories." (soap operas)
  • She went to the grocery store every day!! That was her outing.
  • She loved, loved, loved animals. I often joked with my mom that she loved animals more than people and on some level, who can blame her.
  • She was a dancer.
  • She and my Pop-Pop were married for well over 50 years. They were a great example of love, unconditional love. I have a picture of them from about 5 years ago, at Christmas and she is sitting in his lap. I hope that at 87 years old I am sitting in Kim's lap.

I have this strange feeling of sadness, especially for my mom and her brother and sisters (I can't imagine being here without a mom), but I also know that Gram is much better. For the past four months of her life she did not get out of bed. I know that is not how she wanted to live. She is much better. It is hard to be sad when someone has been blessed with 92 years, four children, 11 grandchildren, 5 great-grandchildren (almost 6) and a long, happy marriage.

She died in her room, in her house with her cat, my aunt and two of my cousins with her. I know that my mom, her bother and other sister wish that they could have been with her. It was time. She is in a better place.

Love you, Grammie.

5 comments:

christy said...

Oh, Leigh, I'm so sorry for your loss. Even when the timing seems right, it's never easy to fully let go.

"A sweet, sweet little muffin of a lady." I love that.

mama becca said...

I'm dreading that... I'm very close with my "mimi"... but your post helped me see that when it's time, it's time. It's not something to be afraid of, but something to embrace- a celebration of a life well lived. Thanks for posting about your sweet grandmother- may she be whole now!
becca

Unknown said...

I am very sorry to hear about your Grammie.

Dawn said...

Leigh, I'm so very sorry that you lost your Grammie. She sounded like an amazing person. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this tough time. You sound like your very gracefully accepting her passage. Please send your family my love and support.

Jenny said...

Girl, I'm so sorry. I'm thinkin' of ya!