5.10.2007

No, Mommie, I need to do it!




As Natalie is becoming more independent I am hearing that statement more and more. She is desiring more freedom. She wants to feel like she can do it herself. Somethings she can and I am glad for her to (feed herself, go up the stairs). There are some things that she wants to do herself but it is so much easier if I do them for her (putting the toothpaste on her toothbrush, going down the stairs). And then there are the things that she really can't do by herself yet but she really wants to (putting her pants and shirts on correctly). These are just a few examples of the battles of independence she is fighting every day.

I am trying to learn how to encourage her independence even though lots of me wants her to stay a baby and depend on me! She is still my little girl. I am struggling to let go! I think the thing that I am trying to master at this point is how to help her without her realizing that she is being helped. I am learning to be the behind the scenes helper and encourager. This is something that my mom does to this day.

No, mommie, I need to do it. Something tells me that I will be hearing that for a long time!

1 comment:

Dawn said...

I feel your pain with the struggle for toddler independence. If you figure out the magic formula for dealing with this, let me know!

By the way, I knew you would love blogging and you are doing a great job. I finally get to get a gimpse into the everyday life of my Leigh G. and I love it!