10.02.2007

A differnt pregnancy experience

So far, this has been a different pregnancy.

It is a strange feeling to be pregnant and wanting so much to celebrate with the people that I love and not have them near me. Don't get me wrong, there are a couple of close friends here who have been every excited for Kim and I but nothing like when we were in Winston. For starters, I got to tell my mom and dad in-person that I was pregnant with Natalie, not over the phone. True, I could have waited but really I couldn't. I didn't get to share a secret giggle with my dear friend when she pulled my secret out of me. I didn't get the sweet embrace of other friends as I shared the news with them, it has been different. I long to be home to share this exciting time in my life with people I love and who love me (thank goodness for the Reames).

I am no longer working as a labor and delivery nurse and getting all the perks that go along with that. I didn't get to hand pick my doctors after seeing them in action. I don't get extra TLC at the office. I don't have an ultrasound machine available whenever I feel like looking at the baby. I don't have a Doppler to listen to the baby's heart whenever I need some reassurance. I won't know the nurse who is going to take care of me, talk about TLC. I have never been into the hospital where I will deliver. I will feel like an alien screaming that I am one of them, I know the secret talk, the lingo.

Speaking of working as a labor and delivery nurse, I miss my co-workers, especially now. They cared for me so well when I was pregnant. They were so excited for me and so protective of me. Great women, I miss them.

I realize this is starting to sound selfish like I just want a bunch of people of around to shower me with affection but really I just want to share this really exciting journey with my friends. There is nothing like being surround by people who love you. I am missing home (perhaps this is the work of the hormones...).

5 comments:

Dawn said...

I can definitely understand how you are feeling. Every pregnant woman needs extra special TLC! Just know that I'm here for you, in cyberspace, and just a phone call away if you need anything. I'd hop at the chance to come rub your belly and tell you how cute you are when your pregnant. All my love to you and the little one on the way.

Unknown said...

Well, we miss you here too!

Jenny said...

Sucks being a regular old patient doesn't it?! It's been that way for me ever since residency ended... and it STINKS!

Girl, I miss you terribly! Just know that you are loved and cared for from afar.

P.S. Different is OKAY!!!

Saintly Nurse said...

Any time you need to talk shop, I'm here. Ditto if you need a good old-fashioned hug. :)

Mom and Dad said...

Congrats little T6 Mama!! Love from The 'Burg, MamaT