7.27.2007

Better Days (a brief update on us)

So, life with Natalie has been wonderful the past two days. She is back to listening, being kind, and speaking kindly to others about 85% of the time which is about what you can expect from a girl her age, I guess. I wish I had a better grasp on what is developmentally normal and what is being a brat.

Wednesday finished up well. After nap, we went with Kim to another amazing park in the area and Natalie had a great time. It was fun for me to watch Kim and Natalie together at the park since he rarely gets to join us. Then we went on an explore to find dinner and found a great new wings place, yummy. I keep thinking to myself, this is what normal families do on weekends, but we never seem to have weekends to play like this with Kim's schedule so it was nice. We came home, got Natalie into bed. Kim spent the rest of the night preparing for conference the next day and I worked on my quilting project, it was a perfectly nerdy and fun night.

Thursday Natalie went to school and from all reports had a fun day. I am so thankful that Natalie loves going to school! After nap time we went for a long swim in the pool. Natalie is getting to much braver in the pool. It is amazing to look back on what she did in the water last summer and compare that to what she is willing and able to do now. She comes running to me and says "I want to go swim, Mommy!" That means she wants me to take her to the deep end of the pool and float around with her, let her go under the water, and let her "jump" to me from the side of the pool. I think she is going to be a "water-bug", as my mom used to call me.

Today when I asked Natalie if she wanted to go to the park she told me that she wanted to go see the cows and sheep at the barn (a true country girl at heart). We went to Frying Pan Park and saw lots of cows, not so many sheep. She has historically been very afraid of the animals once we are there but was so brave today. There was also not as much whining to be carried instead of walking (probably related to not being afraid). It was a hot and smelly but joyous day at the Farm. We had a picnic on the living room floor for lunch because I was too wimpy to eat outside. I don't do 90 degrees very well.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Sounds like a great couple of days and exactly what you and your family needed.

By the way, speaking as a FNP student who just finished her pediatric rotation, your child is completely developmentally normal. She's 100% like all other two-year-olds. You're doing a great job with her!